Technical Lead: Monitoring and Evaluation (APACE) in Gauteng | Other Medical | Job Mail
A Technical Lead: Monitoring and Evaluation (APACE) vacancy is available at our Client Wits Health Consortium’s Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (RHI) in Hillbrow (Gauteng).
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges. It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. We do this through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
Main purpose of the job
- To lead the formulation of the monitoring and evaluation strategy in line with programme and organizational objectives and oversee all monitoring and evaluation plans, reports and activities of the programme.
- Wits RHI – Hugh Solomon Building Hillbrow (Gauteng)
Key performance areas:
Technical strategy and oversight
- Lead the development and implementation of monitoring and reporting systems that provide prompt real-time data analytics and performance reporting for program management and donor compliance
- Oversee all activities of the monitoring and reporting portfolio
- Develop M&E plans and strategy within national and/or donor guidelines
- Communicate the Wits RHI M&E strategy to all relevant stakeholders
- Lead technical meetings with internal & external stakeholders.
- Provide guidance towards appropriate collection and reporting of routine and ad hoc district data and data management
- Provide M&E technical assistance, as required to Wits RHI projects
- Identify areas in the supported district’s M&E and data management system – that need to be strengthened to ensure effective implementation of the institute’s technical strategy and in support of donor and DoH priorities
- Develop and implement systems to identify gaps and improve data quality of the programme
- Identify and implement efficiencies in data collection, compilation, review, reporting, feedback and action plans
Internal and external capacity building
- Identify training needs of the Wits RHI district team and DoH stakeholders
- Liaise with the Wits RHI Training and Teaching Department to address training needs and implement training interventions
- In conjunction with the Wits RHI Training Technical and Teaching Department, monitor the delivery and quality of training at the district level.
Research design, implementation, analysis and dissemination
- Identify opportunities for, and conduct M&E-related operations research (including evaluations) at sites/ projects supported by the institute
- Where applicable, write grant proposals, protocols and ethics applications in order to fund and carry out relevant research
- Ensure appropriate communication/ feedback of research findings to stakeholders
- Produce publications and/or reports relating to research
- Produce abstracts and conference presentations
- Contribute to the compilation of non-research related reports.
- Attend to all staffing requirements and administration
- Participate in the recruitment processes of M&E staff (including the development and marking of competency assessments)
- Supervise and manage the duties of subordinates to ensure optimal staff utilisation and maintenance of sound labour relations
- Perform and facilitate performance development and assessments
- Identify substandard performance by team members and take necessary corrective action
- Coach and train subordinates and team members to ensure acquisition of knowledge and skills required by the organization.
- Promote harmony, teamwork and sharing information
- Act as the first point of contact for APACE M&E for stakeholders, donors and internally where appropriate
- Provide M&E support for RFAs (when applicable)
- Contribute to the preparation for donor evaluations/ audits of Wits RHI (when applicable)
- Support district with target setting initiatives
Effective Self-Management and performance ownership
- Take ownership and accountability for tasks and demonstrates effective self-management
- Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of own work are consistently and accurately maintained
- Maintain a positive attitude and respond openly to feedback
- Take ownership for driving own career development by participating in on-going training and development activities such as conferences, workshops etc.
Required minimum education and training
- Master’s degree in an appropriate discipline
- Qualification or training in monitoring and evaluation systems
- Qualification or training in information systems or health management information systems
- Proficiency in Microsoft office.
Required Minimum work experience and skills
- Minimum 8 years senior management experience of complex projects
- Minimum 5 years leading monitoring and evaluation components of projects (strategy and implementation)
- Demonstrated experience improving health data collection, analysis, dissemination,
Professional body registration – None
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Experience working with donor-driven programmes, writing grant proposals and protocols, and providing training/capacity building.
- Demonstrated leadership, management and change management ability, including the ability to manage a diverse team.
- Be proactive agent influencing positive change with external stakeholders with the ability to develop and maintain relationships at all levels of Wits RHI and partner organizations.
- Positive, energetic team leader with an ability to adapt to complex situations, manage stress, deliver goals pro-actively.
- Organized with a thorough and accurate approach to work, attention to detail
Demands of the job
- National and international travel and overtime may be required from time to time.
- May be required to work at sites that are under resourced and operate in a highly pressurized environment
Communications and relationships
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) in English.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels within the organization, as well as all external stakeholders.
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 12 June 2020.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.