Senior Interpreter (French), CHLS2 | African Development Bank
Position title: Senior Interpreter (French), CHLS2
Position N°: 50001502
Publication date: 10-Jun-2020
Closing date: 09-Jul-2020
Duty station: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
The African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier multi-lateral development finance institution fostering economic growth and social progress in Africa. The AfDB’s primary goal is to reduce poverty and improve living standards by mobilizing resources in and outside Africa and providing financial and technical assistance for development projects and programs in Africa. The Bank’s development agenda is to deliver financial and technical support for transformative projects in Regional Member Countries that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. To sharply focus the objectives of its Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, the Bank has rolled out a new Development and Business Delivery Model (DBDM) based on five top priorities (“High 5s”).
The Corporate Services and Human Resources Vice-Presidency (CHVP) ensures the delivery of efficient, people-centered, client-oriented, corporate services to ensure overall institutional effectiveness in all aspects of the Bank’s corporate services. The complex leads efforts to ensure the competitiveness of the Bank as the employer of choice and is responsible for providing leadership in the formulation and implementation of the Bank’s strategies on people, IT, general services and institutional procurement, language services, business continuity and, health and safety strategies.
THE HIRING DEPARTMENT/DIVISION:
The primary role of the Language Services Department is to ensure, as required by the Bank’s Agreement, the accessibility in the two working languages of the Bank (English and French, and on occasion Arabic and Portuguese) of all issues and documents submitted to the Senior Management and governing bodies of the Bank, for efficient decision-making aimed at the achievement of the Bank’s mission.
The Interpretation Division (CHLS.2) provides interpretation services for all statutory bodies of the Bank (Boards of Governors, Boards of Directors and their subsidiary organs), various organizational units of the Banks, as well as for meetings co-organized by the Bank with external stakeholders and development partners.
Under the guidance of the Manager of the Interpretation Division, the Senior Interpreter (French) will provide faithful, appropriate and well-delivered interpretation at various meetings and functions of the Bank Group and generally contribute to enhanced communication within the Bank as well as between Bank officials and other stakeholders.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide faithful, appropriate and well-delivered interpretation into French (simultaneous, consecutive and other modes) at various meetings and functions of the Bank Group (interviews, induction, on-boarding, seminars, training sessions and engagements with other international organizations and stakeholders of the Bank Group, among others);
- Provide as and when required, accurate and quality interpretation into English;
- Carry out terminology research and prepare glossaries on general emerging themes;
- Contribute to the preparation of special glossaries on Bank Group Annual Meetings;
- Cover study tours of Senior Advisers and Advisers to Regional Member Countries;
- Perform any other duties within his/her area of competence as may be assigned by the Division Manager.
- At least a Master’s Degree in Conference Interpreting or a related field;
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant practical working experience as an interpreter. Experience in an international organization will be an asset;
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English and French. Ability to interpret into the ‘B’ language(s) will be an advantage;
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team;
- Ability to carry out terminology research and prepare glossaries on a wide range of themes;
- Ability to interact with clients of the Division;
- Good knowledge of the use of Bank’s standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
THIS POSITION IS CLASSIFIED INTERNATIONAL STATUS AND ATTRACTS INTERNATIONAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR DIRECT HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted. Only online applications submitted with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV) and copies of the required degrees will be considered. The President, AfDB, reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) does not ask for payments of any kind from applicants throughout the recruitment process (job application, CV review, interview meeting, and final processing of applications). In addition, the Bank does not request information on applicants’ bank accounts. The African Development Bank Group declines all responsibility for the fraudulent publications of job offers in its name or, in general, for the fraudulent use of its name in any way whatsoever.
6 total views, 1 today