Full Time Head Agronomy at Olam
Olam International is a leading food and agri-business supplying food, ingredients, feed and fibre to over 19,800 customers worldwide. Our value chain spans over 60 countries and includes farming, processing and distribution operations, as well as a sourcing network of 4.8 million farmers.
Through our purpose to ‘Re-imagine Global Agriculture and Food Systems’, Olam aims to address the many challenges involved in meeting the needs of a growing global population, while achieving positive impact for farming communities, our planet and all our stakeholders.
Headquartered and listed in Singapore, Olam currently ranks among the top 30 largest primary listed companies in terms of market capitalisation on SGX-ST.
Olam Cotton has a well-diversified portfolio sourcing all varieties of cotton from the Americas, Africa, Asia and Australia and merchandising this cotton to the world’s textile markets. The business is differentiated by its approach in Africa, where its integrated ginning model extends across three countries and includes activities from contract farming to ginning. These activities directly improve the livelihoods of more than 100,000 farmers as they produce a growing supply of Better Cotton
The Incumbent is responsible to lead the Agronomy practise for Olam in West Africa region. The incumbent will be responsible for managing the Implementation and supervision of agreed research methodology for crop estimation, enable better crop growth.
- Plan and execute agronomy studies at R&D farms and model farms to evaluate and improve varieties of Cotton with respect to characteristics, such as yield, quality, adaptation to specific soils or climates, and resistance to insect pests and diseases
- Drive Primary Secondary research and evaluate data that will enable an assessment of the most likely and probability weighted estimates of both current and future production.
- Seed Multiplication Program: identify and develop right seed variety specific to climate with respect to characteristics like yield, GOT and quality of fiber
- Develop and adopt Good Agronomic Practices (GAPs) for higher seed cotton yields. Convert them into simple training aids and conduct the same
- Highlight the risks to the crop estimate by working out various scenarios. Assessment of the impact of various scenarios on yields and associated probabilities such as weather, pests, diseases and changing costs or supply of inputs or labour etc.
- In co-ordination with the Operations team plan and finalize the season requirement for
- Planting Seed Program
- Agri Inputs like Fertilizers, Insecticides, Herbicides etc;
- Review and update the Agro operation calendar activities
- Ensure timely execution of the crop calendar activities on ground
- Develop and adopt efficient management systems to control, monitor cotton and report contract farming operations (related to Agronomy).
- Soil fertility and management: roll out corrective plans
- Understand the cost of production for famer and develop an approach to reduce his cost with selective mechanization or better use of insecticides and pesticides
- Estimate high yeild areas by collecting data from a) official sources regularly b) Confirmation of area estimates through visual estimation of area changes c) Farmer interviews d) Gathering of information from third parties like research institutes, nurseries, state farms etc.
- Review and update SOP to reflect the ground realities
- Prepare and share the reports on agreed frequency
- Develop and demonstrate GAPs at the model farms
- Training & Team Development
- Develop Training program for field staff and farmers on GAPs
- Roll out the training program and assess efficacy of training programs
- Develop the 2nd line for the department
The successful candidate will have a high bias for action, deep passion for doing something exceptional, openness to new ideas and approaches. Key requirements will also include
- Bachelor’s degree in Agronomy, Agriculture, or related field
- 15-20 years of experience, preferably in Cotton
- Exceptional active listening and verbal and written communication skills
- Strong research, decision making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Awareness of industry trends, technology, and developments